Local Akure news, Nigeria
PDP constitutes ward congresses electoral appeal panel for Ondo guber primaries
The National Working Committee (NWC) of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), has constituted a Ward Congresses Electoral Appeal Panel for its Ondo State 2020 Gubernatorial Primaries.
The panel, according to a statement issued by PDP National Organizing Secretary, Col. Austin Akobundu (rtd), would be chaired by former governor of Gombe, Ibrahim Dankwambo.
Akobundu said that the nomination of the Mrs Rita Orji to serve as member and Mr Victor Kwon as Secretary of the panel was also approved by the party NWC.
“The Panel is mandated to consider appeals arising from the conduct of the Ward Congresses for the upcoming 2020 Governorship Election in Ondo State.
“The exercise is scheduled for Monday July 13 at the Party Secretariat, Akure City, Ondo State.”
Ondo governor appoints two new aides
Gov. Oluwarotimi Akeredolu of Ondo State has approved the appointment of Mr Oluwole Moneyin and Mrs Charity Thiti, as Special Assistants on special duties and women mobilisation respectively.
Mr Olusegun Ajiboye, the Chief Press Secretary to the governor, in a statement on Sunday in Akure said the appointments were to further strengthen the administration for optimum performance.
He further said the governor wished the new appointees the best of luck in their new positions.
EXCLUSIVE: How Ondo Health Commissioner, Adegbenro, Ignored Warning To Treat Patients At His Private Hospital Before His Death To COVID-19
More facts have emerged on the circumstances that led to the death of Ondo State Commissioner for Health, Dr Wahab Adegbenro, to Coronavirus on Thursday.
Adegbenro died at the Federal Medical Centre, Owo, after he was rushed there for treatment shortly after his health condition took a disturbing turn.
Findings by SaharaReporters revealed that the Ondo Health Commissioner ignored Coronavirus protocols to attend to sick patients in his private hospital in Akure.
This was despite the fact that he was battling diabetes and other underlying ailments that could easily expose him to contracting Coronavirus.
The regular exposure to different patients he attended to at his hospital, Crown Hospital, Akure, further caused deterioration in the health of Adegbenro and his eventual death on Thursday to the highly contagious virus.
"We have been noticing him since Monday and even on Tuesday, he came to the hospital and attended to a patient for a surgery. But in the process he slumped but we had to quickly revive him.
"After he was revived, he was advised not to go to the hospital but to take some rest at home but he refused and sneaked back to the hospital to attend to more patients.
"As a result of this his health began to worsen and by the time he was taken to the FMC in Owo for medical attention, he was confirmed dead," a family source told SaharaReporters.
Adegbenro's death has indeed caused panic among health officials and members of the Ondo State Task Force on COVID-19 where he was the head of the team until his death.
Earlier this week, governor of the state, Rotimi Akeredolu, his wife, Betty, and several of their aides were confirmed to have contracted the virus, further spreading apprehension across the political sphere in Ondo where it is believed more government officials may have been infected with Coronavirus without knowing it.
Missing Toddler: Defense Witness Accuses DSS Of Tearing Statements While In Custody
The ongoing trial of Prophet Alfa Babatunde, founder of Sotitobire Miracle Centre, Akure, Ondo State, over the case of the missing one-year-old boy named Gold Eniola Kolawole resumed at the state's High Court on Monday.
The third witness for the defense, Mr Richard Akinnagbe, narrated how the Department of State Services personnel tore three statements he wrote while in their custody.
Akinnagbe alleged that the DSS operatives destroyed the three statements because it was not what they wanted him to write.
He made the allegation when he was cross-examined by the defense counsel, Olusola Oke, at the resumed hearing of the trial.
The witness also revealed that he was detained by the DSS for more than a day after he was invited to their Akure office for interrogation over the case of the missing child.
Akinnagbe accused the mother of the missing boy, Modupe Kolawole, of being reluctant to involve the police immediately the incident occurred.
In his counter argument, Mr Adekola Olawoye, prosecuting counsel, who is also the Attorney-General and Commissioner for Justice in the state, described Akinnagbe as a "meddlesome interloper" in the case.
Olawoye also tendered in court as exhibit, the statement said to have been written in DSS custody by Akinnagbe and though there was opposition by the defense, the court accepted the exhibit.
In his ruling, Justice Olusegun Odusola thereafter adjourned the hearing of testimonies from witnesses until Tuesday (tomorrow).
Odusola also ordered that Prophet Babatunde and six co-defendants were returned to the facility of the Nigeria Correctional Service in Olokuta, Akure.
Olawoye expressed dissatisfaction with the pace of the defense, saying it was affecting many other state issues.
Spokesperson for the defense team, Akinyemi Omoware, however assured that they would call all their 20 witnesses between the time-frame allotted by the judge.
Missing Toddler: Prosecution To Close Case Against Ondo Prophet As DSS Tenders More Video Evidences
Prosecution in the ongoing trial of Prophet Alfa Babatunde, founder of Sotitobire Miracle Centre, Akure, Ondo State, over the case of a missing one-year-old boy, Gold Eniola Kolawole, will close its case on Thursday after calling the ninth witness.
Barrister Adekola Olawoye, lead prosecutor, who is also the state's Attorney-General and Commissioner for Justice, revealed this at the High Court sitting in Akure where Babatunde and six others are standing trial.
Olawoye told the court that the eighth witness had already given his testimony in the "video exhibit" tendered as evidence by operatives of Department of State Services against the prophet.
At the hearing of the case before Justice Olusegun Odusola, Head of Technical Unit of the DSS in Ondo State, Mr Adekunle Akanbi, tendered more video evidences detailing how the secret police obtained statements from the other defendants, who are teachers in the children department of the church where the toddler went missing.
In one of the video footages played in the court by the DSS, Mrs Esther Kayode, who is also one of the teachers and defendants in the case, said Prophet Babatunde scolded all the children teachers after the little boy was declared missing in the church.
She explained that the prophet immediately announced during the Sunday service in the church that the boy was missing and anyone, who knew his whereabouts should return him.
Mrs Kayode added that when the case became complicated, she and other teachers were all moved to Deji's Palace where they swore to an oath with a traditional water to prove their innocence over Kolawole's disappearance in the presence of his parents.
Defence counsels, Olusola Oke and Akinyemi Omoware, also cross-examined the DSS operative in the court over his involvement in the video recording while the statements of the defendants were obtained in custody.
In his ruling, Justice Odusola said he gave room for the DSS to play the videos in order for the court to be sure that the defendants in the case were not quizzed nor their statements taken under duress.
He, however, adjourned the case until Thursday June 18, 2020 for prosecution to close his case in the ongoing trial.
He also ordered that Prophet Babatunde and co-defendants were returned to the facility of the correctional centre in Olokuta, Akure.
The defendants are standing trial on a three-count charge including conspiracy to commit felony to wit aiding and abetting kidnapping, aiding and abetting to kidnap and destroy evidence.
Muslim Women Protest Rising Rape Cases In Ondo, Ask Government To Set Up Special Court For Sexual Offenders
Disturbed by the rising spate of rape in the country, some Muslim women have called on government to establish a special court for the trial sexual offenders in the country.
The women under the aegis of Federation of Muslim Women's Association of Nigeria made the call on Tuesday during in a protest in Akure, the state capital.
Armed with placards bearing different inscriptions, the protesters also said government needed to build a rehabilitation home for victims of rape in the country due to the trauma experienced by such persons.
Aminat Akinpelumi, President of FOMWAN in Ondo, said they were worried as parents over the continued abuse and sexual assault on girls and women.
She said, "When we have a special court for rapists, it wouldn't delay the judgment.
"We are saying enough is enough because our girls and women are being raped daily and we want our government, the judiciary and members of the House of Assembly to do something urgent.”
Mrs Khadijat Muftau, Secretary of Muslim Student Society of Nigeria, identified poor parenting and the spread of pornography materials as the major cause of rape in the society.
Muftau asked parents to teach their children sex education in order to avoid being molested by others.