Local Yola Adamawa news, Nigeria
Nigerian Government Accused Of Abandoning Chibok Girls On Scholarship At American University Yola
The Kibaku (Chibok) Area Development Association (KADA) has accused Nigerian Government of abandoning and neglecting the Chibok Girls who enrolled for scholarship programme at American University of Nigeria, Yola, Adamawa State.
The group said 10 out of them had pulled out of the programme out of frustration.
In a statement on Tuesday jointly signed by Dauda Ndirpaya Iliya and Manasseh Allen, the National President and Director of Media and Publicity respectively of the association said the girls were discriminated against and not allowed to mingle, interact, and socialise with other students.
The group added that the Nigerian Government had frustrated many foreign and local assistance that came the way of the girls.
The group explained that many schools abroad and voluntary organisations, who have offered to provide them with scholarships were hindered and sabotaged by the Buhari's government.
The statement added that Chibok Government Secondary School project have been abandoned and now a shadow of itself since the terrorists carried out the attack on April 2014.
The statement reads, "Our returned daughters enrolled at the American University of Nigeria (AUN) Yola, have not made much progress and feel frustrated not understanding the direction of things or being properly briefed of their future.
"Ten of them have out of frustration left the programme, they are Laraba Mamman, Mwa Daniel, Rachael Nkeki (who are now married), Saraya Yanga, Philomena Dauda, Sarah Nkeki, Asabe Lawan, Glory Mainta, Talatu Adamu, and Lydia Habila.
"Neither the families nor the Kibaku community have been briefed and informed by the Federal Government on rescue efforts or the whereabouts of our daughters since the last batch of 82 returned on 7 May, 2017.
"Except the messages by President Muhammadu Buhari released every 13 April since then, on the eve of the 14 April commemoration. These messages are basically same copy-and-paste with minor alterations year in, year out."
Upper Benue River Basin Authority MD Continues To Award Fraudulent Contracts After Tenure Ends— Whistleblower
Managing Director of Upper Benue River Basin Development Authority, Abubakar Mu'azu, has continued to award contracts, three weeks after his tenure elapsed on June 6, 2020, a whistleblower has said.
The Upper Benue River Basin Development Authority is a federal agency in Adamawa State.
On June 26, 2020, SaharaReporters had reported that tension was mounting in the federal parastatal, following the refusal of Mu'azu, to vacate office three weeks after the expiration of his tenure.
A whistleblower within the agency, Bashiru Ahmed, had revealed that Mu'azu had from June 7, 2020, a day after the vacuum was created in his office, allegedly awarded several contracts and approved payments, running into hundreds of millions of naira.
It was further alleged that even before the end of his tenure, the former MD had awarded over N2 billion contracts, laced with irregularities and fraud.
The whistleblower had revealed that those contracts were awarded and payments effected without any recourse to the tenders board. He always bypassed the management board in taking decisions, the whistleblower claimed.
In a petition addressed to the Chairman of Independent Corrupt Practices and other related offences Commission, 39 point corruption allegations were raised against him.
The petition, seen by SaharaReporters, reads in parts: "Fraudulent awards of contracts without advertisement as required by the Public Procurement Act, 2007.
"Numan Irrigation Project: The Authority does not have this project, it is nonexistent, yet, on yearly basis, provision was fraudulently made and monies siphoned by the MD and his cronies, to the tune of over N200 million.
"Ledde-Zenge dam: This is a practical show of shame with no engineering design, standard bills and genuine contractor, engineer, supervisor. This is the mother of all impunity. The alleged structure is not close to being a dam, and yet N250 million was spent with no known contractor, supervisor, and so on.
"Dukku erosion control: The assumed financier and contractor of this project are unknown and yet the colossal sum of money in the excess of N200 million has so far been spent with sustainable provisions being made under the same project name.
"Under the name of dredging and maintenance of the unlined area of the canal, about N500 million has been spent within four years with continuous spending and yet, no lasting solution other than the continuation of resource wastage.”
To sustain his alleged illegalities, Muazu was said to have appointed a seconded Grade Level 10 officer with no knowledge of procurement to serve as the Head of the Authority’s Procurement Unit.
Muazu, it was further gathered, sidelined a chartered Grade Level 17 staff, and made a Grade Level 14 Officer to be the Head of Finance and Accounts of the Authority.
Ahmed had further alleged that Mu'azu was being shielded by the Minister of Water Resources, Adamu Suleiman.
He, therefore, called on President Muhammadu Buhari, to do the needful and force Mu'azu out just as he urged ICPC and other anti-graft agencies to investigate the issues raised.
BREAKING: Monarch Of Bachama Kingdom In Adamawa State, Stephen, Is Dead
Colonel Honest Irmiya Stephen (retd), the paramount ruler of Bachama Kingdom in Adamawa State, is dead.
The monarch was said to have died in the early hours of Sunday in his sleep.
Spokesperson for the kingdom, Chief Timawus Mathias, said, "Homun Honest died in the late hours of the night June 28th 2020 at his palace in Numan, Adamawa State, following a brief illness.
"Already the funeral rights are well underway according to Bachama tradition in Lamurde, the kingdom's headquarters.
"He received his staff of office on 15 Dec 2013 from the then Adamawa State Governor Murtala Nyako. Homun Honest Irmiya Stephen is 66 years old
"Homun (King) Honest Irmiya Stephen, Kwire Mana Kpafrato II, a retired officer of the Nigerian Army who ascended the throne in 2012 succeeding Homun Asaph Zadok (late)."
The late traditional ruler, who retired as a colonel in the Nigerian Army, aspired for the Senate seat (PDP) in 2007 before ascending the throne.
EXCLUSIVE: Twelve Adamawa DSS Operatives Test Positive For COVID-19
There is anxiety in the Adamawa State command of the Department of State Services as at least 12 personnel of the agency have tested positive for Coronavirus.
According to findings by SaharaReporters, the number of positive cases might rise in the coming days as tests conducted on many operatives were still pending.
“They are trying to cover it up, they don’t want outsiders to know. The state Director was the first to test positive,” the source disclosed.
However, when contacted by SaharaReporters, the state Director of the DSS, Bolade Olori, denied testing positive or even on self isolation.
He said, "I don't know of any staff under me who tested positive for COVID-19, and so I'm not self isolating as claimed."
Despite Olori's denial, sources told SaharaReporters that all operatives of the agency that had tested positive for the virus were already in isolation centres in Yola, the state capital.
According to the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control, Adamawa State has a total of 73 confirmed cases of Coronavirus.
Police dismisses officer for allegedly killing tricyclist over N100 bribe in Adamawa
The Nigeria Police has dismissed one of its operatives in Adamawa State for allegedly killing a tricyclist who refused to give him bribe.
The affected policemen, Corporal Richard Japheth, had on June 1, 2020 in Maiha Local Government Area allegedly shot and killed a 20-year-old tricyclist, Arabo Dauda, for not giving a bribe of N100.
The slain Maiha resident was crossing a police checkpoint with a gallon of petrol when he encountered Cprl Richard who allegedly fired his gun when it became apparent that the N100 bribe, reportedly often offered by petrol-bearing passers-by was not forthcoming.
Richard was arrested after the incident and taken to the state Police Criminal Investigation Department (CID) in Yola, where the police said investigation started on the incident.
The Adamawa State Police Command said on Monday that after investigation indicated that Japhet committed the crime, the police dismissed him from the service to face the law.
The State Police Public Relations Officer, DSP Suleiman Nguroje, said, “Yes, Richard Japheth has been dismissed from service. He’s currently in detention and will be charged to court for culpable homicide.”
BREAKING: Many Feared Killed In Adamawa Communal Clash
Many persons have been feared killed after a violent clash between two tribes in Adamawa State.
It was gathered that indigenous 'Lunguda' tribe and their 'Waja' settlers in Lafiya town under Lamurde Local Government Area of the state engaged each other in overnight violent confrontation.
It was further learnt that over five villages including Momsurmi, Boshikiri, Zakawon and Burti have been burnt to ashes as a result of the violence.
Domestic animals and foodstuffs were also destroyed in the mayhem, which lasted several hours before the military brought the situation under control.
The conflict was said to have been sparked by dispute over farmland ownership before leading to the destruction of lives and property worth millions of naira.
Adamawa State deputy governor, Crowther Seth, in company with the Brigade Commander of the 23 Brigade, Yola, Brigadier General Sani Gambo Mohammed, visited the scene in the early hours of Wednesday.
The deputy governor, who assured that government will investigate and bring perpetrators to book, warned against further escalation of violence.
Recall that last month, over 48 lives were lost in a similar communal clash in Tingno under the same local government area.